Thursday, January 10, 2013

What I learned about "painting small".


5x7 is small, and I have this great new small box to use [see later posts below] that's easy to carry, has few supply needs, and is great for doing a painting even over lunch or a cup-a.  After a false start and a few paint-overs, I decided to keep 3 to evaluate what I discovered, and what I learned from pros like Tim Horn.  I asked him for his input.  "Paint small things", was great advice for sure, but hard to follow.  If you paint big things small [see building painting here] paintings get, "precious".  I expanded that advice to read, "paint small things big", and I think i have found a way to get these small "post card" size panels the way I want them.  In the 3 panel photo you can see big stuff [the local Stonehaus wine/coffee tasting room], a blanket cart they keep at Stonehaus for chilly afternoons, and then my favorite, "Stonehaus Joe", a Stonehaus coffee cup, extra hot.  Paint small stuff big, and this one works for me.  Going to try another coffee mug tomorrow at lunch, this time a great green/blue one from the Kiwi cafe in Chester, NS, Canada.  For me, it's all about spotting something fun, and worth painting on a 5x7.  It's a much different "eye" than I use all the time for my other work, but fun.  Learning a new skill is always a pain for me, but I think I have made it through the creative wall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment