Tuesday, January 1, 2013

What can you learn from mistakes?


We've all had that pep talk from somebody about learning from mistakes.  So what can I learn from this one?  I wanted to try out my new Christmas gift, a 5x7 pochade box that allows you to just sit down anyplace and do a small painting with out unpacking all kinds of stuff - just a few brushes, a cup of water and a few basic colors.  You can paint over lunch, or waiting for someone.  So I went off to the local wine tasting/coffee place & really wanted to paint an interior of the large bow window with sun streaming through.  Lots of red, gold, yellow.  But I got there late and the sun wasn't right, so I went outside & did this birdhouse.  Mistake:  Painting something that did not inspire me at all.  No shadows or real color.  Lesson: There are subjects that make great photos that do not make great painting subjects at all.  Wait for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment