Thursday, June 7, 2012

What's in a painting.....?


I have had some questions on the Camarillo Cathedral painting that you can look at below. I guess I read too many art reviews - and the best of all art mags, "Plein Air", where writers are always looking for all kinds of motivation and symbols in better paintings than mine?  I like that.  So I try to sneak a few in to most of what I do actually.  For example:  In my 8x10 painting of this place - again, please look below -  there is a touch of "sun glow" in the towering clouds in the upper left of the canvas.  That lofty cloud, and the attention-drawing color, is meant to represent the bell tower of the actual church - only this clowd representation is reaching up high to the heavens, extending in a way the "reach" of the place and the people who come here.  The telephone poles at lower left reflect the hard working-class  "neighborhood", as well as "getting the good-word out", and the small buildings again on the lower left of the canvas represent the modest community and priests that surround the place.  I depict the East side of the structure, not the front that faces N.  I chose it because it faces the rising sun every day, representing eternity, and God's daily creations and challanges - new with every sunrise.  And - I painted it on Good Friday.  WOW.  All that into one painting plan.  It's too much information but now you know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment